Table of Contents
- Maximo HSE - Health, Safety, and Environmental
- Maximo Oil & Gas
- Maximo Calibration
- Maximo Scheduler
- Maximo Asset Configuration Manager
- Maximo Linear Asset Management
- Maximo Spatial
- Maximo Industry Solutions
- Maximo for Nuclear Power
- Maximo Civil Infrastructure
- Maximo Aviation
IBM Maximo, the leading enterprise asset management solution, is used by the world’s most powerful and critical infrastructure owner-operators to maintain their assets. Enterprise Asset Management is not one size fits all. Each industry and organization has unique regulations, challenges, and goals.
A combination of unique technology and business process alignment is the key to a full maintenance program that increases uptime and efficiency and positively impacts the bottom line.
With IBM Maximo, organizations can choose from a handful of Maximo Industry solutions and Maximo add-on solutions to tailor their user experience.
Learn more about them below:
Maximo HSE - Health, Safety, and Environmental
What is Maximo Health, Safety, and Environmental?
Maximo Health Safety and Environmental (Maximo HSE) allows for safety management directly within Maximo. Standard Maximo provides the ability to manage hazards, precautions, and tag-out procedures at a generic level, associated with assets or work procedures. Maximo HSE goes much further, to manage amongst other items:
a. Operating procedures and policies
c. Management of Change
e. Process revisions
g. Safety and health ratings
h. Analytics and reporting
Importance of an integrated Health, Safety, and Environmental Solution
Maximo HSE provides a corporation with an ability to manage key safety-related information directly in Maximo, alongside standard EAM processes and procedures. It ties together the function of active safety and health management with normal Maximo maintenance to be able to model safety procedures as a stand-alone entity, rather than as a function of maintenance work order operation.
Benefit of Maximo HSE
In a safety or health-conscious environment, such as dangerous maintenance environments, companies must have mechanisms in place to manage the safety of the work that needs to be done and follow the appropriate procedures. There are many advantages to having this be done in the same system as the work itself, rather than needing to create complex integrations and even more, complex reporting should any issues occur. The value of this capability inside Maximo may mitigate the need for the cost and ongoing support of a separate system, with separate expertise and effort requirements, and concentrate the work around the enterprise asset management system that Maximo is.
Maximo Oil and Gas
Maximo for Oil & Gas is a Maximo industry solution that supports the highly regulated and specific world of Oil & Gas from the upstream activities of exploration and drilling through to the downstream activities of refinement and distribution.
Maximo Oil & Gas Features:
- True physical location
- Engineering safety zones
- Standard failure codes per ISO 14224
- Standard asset nameplate data per ISO 14224
- Operating procedures and policies
- Conditions for work
- Defect reporting
- Management of Change
- Process revisions
- Safety and health ratings
- Analytics and reporting
Value of Maximo Oil & Gas
The Oil & Gas solution for Maximo is the only possible way to manage all elements of what is a highly complex and strongly regulated industry. The upstream elements feed directly into ongoing operational performance of high-value assets, with a product that is being improved as it is being made ready for distribution, and eventual consumption by downstream events.
The need for environmental and safety accountability is a fundamental part of the product and ensures that the organization, whether a manufacturer, distributor, or service provider, is able to capture and analyze all required information to provide at a moment’s notice to the appropriate regulatory organization.
Benefit of Maximo Oil & Gas
The ability to perform all elements of the Oil & Gas industry in a single enterprise asset management system is invaluable. Maximo provides a highly specific and yet organizationally flexible solution that supports all aspects of the business but allows a specific business process to be implemented for each of the organizations that it supports. The underpinning of the EAM principles of Maximo’s work and asset management structure means that the data is as organized and useful to the business and external consumers as intended, and will pay back the investment of implementation, usually by mitigating a single event.
What is Maximo Calibration?
Maximo Calibration is designed to provide support for organizations in the Life Sciences industry, which require verification of their assets’ ability to perform in a validated environment. The Calibration solution with Maximo offers pharmaceutical companies, or the organizations providing services and goods to them, the opportunity to manage not just their asset maintenance strategies, but also the adherence to FDA and local standards.
The following functionalities are unique to Maximo Calibration:
- Datasheets – to define the calibration standard
- Reverse traceability – to know where a calibrated tool was used
- Compliance – to track and analyze the compliance of your organization against regulatory standards
- Assurance – to verify user identity via electronic signature when performing key functions
Importance of Adhering to Regulatory Standards
A Life Sciences environment requires lifecycle management of high quality, verified performance of assets and tools. Operations and maintenance will not be able to be performed in a controlled, validated environment without the assurance that the work is being done to the appropriate standard. The Calibration solution provides that control and collects the information that will be used to verify that the organization performed its work to the required regulatory constraint.
Why Use Maximo Calibration?
Maximo’s Calibration solution is a seamless addition to the out-of-the-box Maximo work and asset functionality. Measurement and Test Equipment (M&TE) are identified as standards by which other work is performed, to ensure that there is no deviation from the required operation. All assets and tools are tracked throughout their lifetimes, as are the effects that they have on the other assets that they are used to verify. Validation documentation can be created from the history that Maximo will build up. The prevention of a validation issue will ensure that the value of the solution is consistently realized.
What is Maximo Scheduler?
Maximo Scheduler offers long-term planning and scheduling capability for complex project management environments. Not all organizations perform detailed planning and scheduling, with daily dispatching and assignments being suitable – but where more complex modeling and detailed resource balancing is required, Maximo Scheduler provides that solution.
Maximo Scheduler Features:
- Seamless – The Scheduler operates alongside Maximo, seamlessly adding the capability to the Maximo work management functions.
- Optimization – Resource profiling can ensure that resource utilization is optimized and conflicts are reduced or eliminated.
- Scenarios – Multiple scenarios can be created to model how a project could be worked, with one model chosen and committed to providing the basis for the work’s execution.
- Planning, scheduling, and dispatching – The Scheduler achieves all of these critical functions, providing Gantt chart capabilities to model dependencies and resource allocations, as well as offering opportunities for graphical assignments and dispatching to show the immediate effect on work and resource utilization.
Importance of Scheduling in Maximo
Individual work order planning is performed in Maximo using a job plan, which is a template for the work that needs to be done. The template can contain tasks with durations and resource assignments. In a simple environment with only a few work orders, the scheduling function is easy to perform without a tool, but where many hundreds or thousands of activities require balancing and optimization, the Scheduler offers a built-in capability to ensure that the work can be done with an achievable and predictable outcome.
Benefits of Maximo Scheduler
Where complexity is large and resources need to be managed very tightly, the Scheduler can be a lifesaver. For significant events such as plant shutdowns that can cost the owning company a large amount of money, the organization of the work done during that time to minimize the downtime is critical. This is where the Scheduler would have the most impact and show the depth of its value – keeping the organization running.
Maximo Asset Configuration Manager
What is Maximo Asset Configuration Manager?
Maximo Asset Configuration Manager (ACM) provides the capability to model a complex asset, and ensure that its components are correctly organized and populated before it can be made available for use. The ACM organizes and validates build rules to provide a health check of the complex asset, ensuring that it is always configured correctly for use.
- Build Data Interpreter (BDI) – The BDI is where the rules are applied. The rules can indicate where an asset can be deployed to, whether it needs to exist, which other assets it may affect and how, and what the asset itself must consist of.
- Configuration Control – Each layer of the asset hierarchy can be controlled preventing the issue or use of an asset that is in an improper configuration.
Why use Asset Configuration Manager?
Mission or safety-critical environments require the use of ACM. ACM is used in military or civilian cases where assets must perform according to their specification, where there has to be active control over their configuration in order for them to be used. Aircraft engines, locomotives, or other complex, mission-critical assets benefit from the proactive management and structure that ACM provides.
Benefits of Asset Configuration Manager
ACM does not allow an asset to be used or applied to an improper function. Only the ACM solution guarantees that the asset’s specified configuration will be adhered to and validated prior to the asset being passed fit for service. This ensures that the asset cannot be misapplied or misconfigured.
Maximo Linear Asset Management
What is Maximo Linear Asset Management?
Maximo Linear Asset Management supports the modeling and management of assets that have a distinct length, and which potentially interact with other linear and/or zero-length (point) assets. The definition of the asset itself is highly important and must be consistent throughout the network, to provide a common modeling system and create standardized data.
Features of Maximo Linear Asset Management:
- Asset profiling – the asset is associated with a beginning and end measurement. It can also be given other characteristics along its length that show how it deviates and interacts with other elements around it.
- Features – linear assets may change their components and underlying structure along their length. For example, a stretch of rail track may be supported by concrete ties for part of its length, and wood ties for the rest – similarly, a guard rail may accompany the asset for only part of its length.
- Attributes – used to model changing technical components of the asset, for example, rail tie clips, which may be one type for one duration and another type elsewhere.
Importance of Maximo Linear Asset Management
The Linear solution of Maximo enables the management of all kinds of assets that have a length to them. Without the ability to define that length and how those assets interact with others, it would be virtually impossible to model pipelines, highways, railways, waterways, or other interacting linear asset types. The Linear solution provides a graphical view of the assets alongside each other to show the interaction.
Benefits of Maximo Linear Asset Management
The Linear solution is the only mechanism to provide for a true definition of non-zero length assets. The solution is often paired with the Spatial GIS solution to provide a logical and real-world view of the assets and their interaction.
What is Maximo Spatial?
Maximo Spatial captures physical geo-location data for assets of any type, creating and interacting with a map of the assets, their connectivity, the modeling of changes, and the potential effect of their failure. This is particularly critical for assets that are inherently dispersed and require a holistic, systematic view.
Features of Maximo Spatial:
- ESRI data – The Spatial solution in Maximo connects Maximo directly to an external geographical information system that will exchange ESRI data.
- Feature sets – The Spatial offering provides standard feature sets that exchange certain data about the assets to show in Maximo, enabling the user to seamlessly interact with them via that graphical view. The features can be expanded or changed as required to interact with more of the assets.
- Types of Asset – All types of assets can be modeled in a geographical manner.
Why Maximo Spatial?
For geographically dispersed assets or assets that are hard to reach physically but need to be tracked relative to their surroundings, the Spatial solution is critical. This is the case in water distribution and wastewater collection, electrical systems and circuits, transit situations with interconnecting and crossing movements, and situations requiring the automatic, optimized routing of mechanics from place to place as work orders need to be executed.
Benefits of Maximo Spatial
The Spatial solution is invaluable for business situations that require a geographical view of assets and the ability to interact with them via a map. This can also be deployed on mobile devices, allowing service engineers to review asset locations and interactions in real-time as they near work locations. Where potential spillages or accidents occur, the Spatial offering provides for the capture of an affected area, that can immediately translate into a management plan for those impacted by it and a remediation plan for the assets that were damaged.
Maximo Industry Solutions
What is Maximo for Utilities?
Maximo for Utilities is an industry-specific asset management solution that provides specific functions that augment standard Maximo for the utilities industry such as:
- Compatible Unit Estimating (CUE) – Utilizing a multi-level unit library, generate cost estimates for doing work across asset geographies. This will determine budgetary spending for upgrades and ongoing maintenance for distributed assets.
- Crew management – The utilities industry relies on crews to be properly formed and fully qualified. The Utilities solution ensures that sufficient detail is captured for the definition, population, and usage of a crew.
- Asset accounting – Utility assets must be defined using a common method and accounted as such. Maximo provides for integrations using service-oriented architecture to financial systems using fixed asset accounting methods.
- Spatial – The Utilities solution provides the Maximo Spatial solution as well to provide for geographical viewing and management of distributed assets.
- Sensors – Hard-to-reach assets deployed with sensors to actively monitor asset health and highlight areas of failure allow crews to be dispatched with much-reduced delay.
Why Maximo for Utilities?
The nature of utility assets is that they are widely distributed, sometimes in hard-to-reach places. The cost and management of the assets and the work being done to them requires specialist grouping and costs that can only be achieved by using the CUE approach. The mapping and accounting capabilities provide visibility into the assets and their contribution to the asset network and infrastructure.
Benefits of Maximo for Utilities
The combination of functionality in the Utilities solution provides a key contribution to the assets’ performance. The assets themselves, if they fail, have a direct effect on those relying on them for power. The ability to merge sensor readings and mapping information directly against the asset provides the ability to identify and deploy the right remediation crew with minimum delay.
Maximo for Nuclear Power
What is Maximo for Nuclear?
Maximo for Nuclear provides for the management of a nuclear energy generating organization directly in Maximo. The complexity of the maintenance in such a highly regulated and controlled environment requires very specific capabilities that are unable to be modeled and tracked. Cohesive Solutions has the most highly experienced resources in the industry to apply the Nuclear solution to these operating environments.
Features of Maximo for Nuclear:
- Safety – Promotes the safety of the environment by the use of impact plans, health and safety models, permits, and corrective actions. Also provides for the full modeling of lockout and tag-out capabilities or the option to integrate to industry-standard safety management systems such as eSOMS.
- Performance Model – Supports the nuclear industry performance model for best practice operation, by providing a highly configurable business process modeling engine.
- Advanced scheduling – Provides enhanced options for scheduling, management, and dispatching of work and resources.
- Design specifications – Supports the needs of the nuclear industry by providing dedicated applications to manage detailed technical specifications, surveillances, calibration, and procurement engineering.
- Importance – As probably the most regulated industry worldwide, nuclear plant management requires an exceptional amount of detail to properly account for the safety of the environment, personnel, and the process itself. The Nuclear solution incorporates a huge amount of flexibility and capability to ensure that all business requirements can be fully modeled for an entire end-to-end solution. Implementation areas including: Corrective Action and Planning, Work Management, Supply Chain Engineering, Operations, and Engineering. Integrations often occur with Primavera and other planning tools which are standards in the industry. Cohesive offers unparalleled experience and expertise in this industry, offering industry-leading resources with hundreds of years of combined hands-on industry involvement as reactor operators, cooling engineers, plant safety managers, and other highly specialized backgrounds.
Benefits of Maximo for Nuclear
The intention of Maximo is to provide value to an enterprise wherever it is applicable. The Nuclear solution can be combined with the other Maximo solutions to provide a complete corporate EAM solution for generating utilities with both nuclear and non-nuclear generating capabilities. The value of Maximo Nuclear overall is the overarching ability to manage the entirety of the operation and maintenance of a nuclear utility, and audit and capture the safety of the working environment at all times.
Maximo Civil Infrastructure
What is Maximo Civil Infrastructure?
The Civil Infrastructure solution provides a collection of capabilities that support a municipality or agency operating an entire suite of infrastructure offerings, usually to the population of a specific area.
Features of Maximo Civil Infrastructure:
- Linear – To model spans such as roads and bridges.
Internet of Things – The implementation of sensors to feed into specific asset behavior, and provide active feedback on their need for work.
- Spatial – A geographical mapping capability, connecting to an ESRI asset dataset with fully geographical information.
- Predictive maintenance – Improved modeling of preventive maintenance strategies to take account of real-time data inputs, enhancing the responsiveness of the maintenance work to lengthen asset life.
Why Maximo Civil Infrastructure?
IBM recognized the importance of offering a single solution for infrastructure management some years ago. Agencies were managing their asset base using Maximo, but the constant need to model different industry solution functionalities together with their different processes and data needs made the solution more complex than it needed to be. Combining them into a single offering makes for a compelling offering that enables an agency to simply deploy one Maximo solution for all infrastructure types.
Benefits of Maximo Civil Infrastructure
Agencies operating complex, sometimes country-wide infrastructure require a solution that will manage all aspects of that infrastructure within a single umbrella solution. Maximo already offers the best in class work and asset management and process modeling engine, and combined with the added benefit of several strategic solutions to make up the overall Civil Infrastructure offering, provides a one-stop solution for those significant undertakings. Roads, highways, bridges, rail, utility, and all types of infrastructure will be modeled, updated via sensors and mobile devices, and optimized by preventive and predictive maintenance strategies.
Maximo Service Providers
- Purpose – Enable either those offering a service to others or managing services being provided to them to adhere to service level agreements, and understand the margin of performing or receiving work at an offered or sold rate.
- Service level agreements – The modeling and management of services, either offered or being received. It is critical for organizations providing or receiving services to know the performance of those services, and to understand the impact on pricing and invoicing if the agreement is breached.
- Contract agreements for services – The modeling of the services and the costing based on the timeliness and quality of the work that has been done. For example, if a contracting organization offers to manage all support tickets for a system within an hour, and several take longer, there should be a reduction of payment based on an agreed missed performance target. In addition, the cost of the service itself may change based on quantity or delivery – costs may change over time as the service familiarity and performance are expected to increase.
- Invoicing – Standard Maximo offers invoicing based on receipts against a purchase order. Service Provider expands that by creating outbound invoices for services offered, based on the work done, the agreed or negotiated cost, and the service level agreement.
- Importance – The establishment of contract agreements is always complex. Arranging for a fluctuating cost of a service dependent on the provision or receipt of the service is even more so and requires the concept of a negotiated schedule of cost changes on top of the agreement itself. The service level agreement is the fundamental understanding of what should be provided between the consumer and provider and should result in a changing cost to the consumer based on performance. The invoicing must reflect the quality of work done relative to that performance. All of these offerings are assembled together into a one-stop Service Provider solution.
- Value – From a provider point of view, the Service Provider ensures that the company receiving the service pays the appropriate value of the service itself, based on what was negotiated to be included in the contract. From a consumer point of view, the solution ensures that the receiving party pays the appropriate amount for the service, based on the performance of the provider. The Service Provider can manage both sides of the agreement, ensuring that both parties are treated fairly and either pay or are paid the correct amount for the service offered.
What is Maximo Aviation?
Maximo Aviation supports the complex and regulated aviation industry’s needs, from the point of view of both aircraft engineering and also all things associated with the aviation industry including air-side inspections and facilities management. The key element is the management of aircraft configuration, which will manage the complex asset hierarchy and asset relationships to ensure the correct configuration of the aircraft. The capability of the rules to manage the hierarchy will guarantee that the asset cannot be deployed with an incorrect configuration, greatly reducing any safety concerns. The Aviation solution as a whole combines this with a few other areas of key capabilities to fully support the needs of the industry.
- Importance – To fully cover the aviation industry would normally require several solutions, as the complexities are significant. The Maximo for Aviation offering combines them together to provide a single solution that can entirely support the need using one installed product. In addition, the Maximo mobility offerings are available to perform the necessary functions for work management and inspections and to also manage any asset movements in real-time. This greatly reduces the configuration requirement on the system and centralizes the system administration effort around what should primarily remain as ‘standard’ Maximo.
- Value – The value of Aviation is to consolidate the offering to a single solution for what fundamentally is a very complex environment. The area is extremely highly regulated and concentrated around safety management, and Aviation provides all traceability of all elements that could affect any engineering component or inspection activity.
IBM Maximo provides a powerful, unified platform for asset intensive organizations by integrating the management of assets, work, inventory, procurement, supply chain, and contracts. The world’s best-run enterprises use Maximo for their maintenance operations.
Cohesive is a top-tier implementer and configurer of IBM Maximo. We help our clients achieve business transformations by aligning their EAM technology solutions with industry best practices. Request a consultation today.