Over the past few months, I’ve noticed some distinct trends among our customers, prospects, and other Maximo users that are notable. Momentum is truly picking up around these topics. If your organization is not involved in one or more of these trends you are likely falling behind your competition so it’s worth having awareness of these areas:
- Emphasis on Upgrades: As IBM end of support for Maximo V7.5 draws closer (April 2018), we are seeing a strong emphasis on V7.6 upgrades across all industries. Upgrades can be viewed on a spectrum from simple “like-for-like” technical upgrades to re implementation of your Maximo system and/or your business processes.
- Work Centers: The latest Maximo V188.8.131.52 release includes additional new role-based work center functionality. Many organizations who have not previously used work centers are finding the new user interface and role-based functionality worthy enough to begin building into their 2018-19 deployment plans. The latest release has added the ability to plan and associate role-based inspections as part of a PM program.
- Concurrent Licensing: I find some customers still don’t know IBM now offers a concurrent licensing option for Maximo including a path to “trade-up” your existing named user licenses to concurrent licenses. Concurrent licenses can provide significant advantages relative to utilization, management, flexibility and overall cost-effectiveness.
- Movement to the Cloud: While moving to the cloud is an option that has existed for a few years now, we have seen interest pick up in this area the last 12 months. Organizations are starting to focus more on value-added core capabilities versus maintaining infrastructure. Moving Maximo to the cloud allows them to receive automatic software updates and support from an external cloud provider like IBM or Projetech. This can also be an appropriate time to reevaluate your Maximo license utilization with the option to convert to SaaS if applicable.
- Mobile: Most Maximo customers have already implemented a mobile solution or are currently planning to do so. And mobility now takes different forms such as web-based “responsive” mobile screen options like the new work centers applications or the Maximo Everyplace application templates included in V7.6 in addition to the various disconnected mobile solutions. Mobile use is continuing to increase in not only popularity but also functionality. Field teams can update Maximo from their mobile devices while away from their computers, increasing accuracy and real-time information through mobile solutions such as IBM Maximo Anywhere, Datasplice and Mobile Informer.
- Budget Monitoring: The highly anticipated and requested Maximo Budget Monitoring functionality was released in Maximo with V184.108.40.206 last year, increasing the interest in using the system for finance tracking. We have a recorded webinar demonstrating this new functionality.
- Business Process Compliance / Data Quality Overlay: Maximo users are more interested than ever in understanding and quantifying the effectiveness of their key business processes. Compliance-related and business efficiency processes can now be easily measured while also incorporating an “overlay” of “believability” in the form of data quality. Data quality is the number one challenge for all customers attempting to drive accurate business metrics and there is now a smart solution to this challenge with our Propel performance management solution. Within three weeks, we can help your organization start down the path to more objectively measuring the impact of your key business processes to meet the strategic needs of your organization.
- Asset Reliability: Many Maximo customers are beginning to realize the power of incorporating reliability into their overall use of Maximo. This typically begins with developing a solid plan to track failures, prioritize assets/locations and ultimately optimize Preventative Maintenance schedules to reduce cost and downtime. We offer a series of Maximo configurations driven by your reliability business processes which facilitate a Reliability Centered Maintenance leveraging core Maximo functionality – more information on this unique approach can be found here.
Think about each of these industry trends and figure out what applies best to your business. We are here to collaborate and provide you with guidance based on our best practices experience in each of these areas. Our team at Cohesive is now planning our 2018 training calendar around several of these trends. We’d like to hear from you, tell us your specific interests and we will develop a plan or training activity to suit those needs.